Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Heard: Can't Wait To Be Basically Worthless!

Overheard the following conversation this morning while waiting in line at Starbucks.

Intern 1:  I am so glad today is my last day, I can't wait to be done.

Intern 2:  Yeah, it has been fun though. Are you interested in coming back to work on the Hill?

Intern 1:  Yeah definitely! But not for anything less than an LA. Everything else is pointless.
(Intern 2 provides a blank stare and does not verbally respond)

Intern 1:  I mean our Staff Ass is basically worthless. He never answers the phone and all he does is schedule and give tours. Oh and flag requests. I mean he's basically a paid intern. I just want to be like congrats man you went to college to be a secretary!

Intern 2 is definitely aware of his surroundings and not sure how to respond just says: Yea....Really?

Intern 1:  Yeah, I mean congrats you work for [Member] but at the end of the day you are just a secretary.

Intern 2:  Yeah but we all have to start somewhere.

Intern 1:  Nah, that's not how I'm going to do it.

My message to intern 1 is first, the Hill is not as small as you think it is. If you are anywhere in DC you should be mindful that most likely you are around people that have worked on the Hill, particularly as Staff Assistants. Also, almost every staffer has started as a Staff Assistant. 

Lastly, the worthless "Staff Ass" you referred to just happens to be my roommate.  Good luck getting that LA position without a recommendation from the office in which you interned. Funny thing is that just last night he was singing your praises and saying he wishes you were going to be here through August.

Also, as a public service announcement to any interns who check this:  Do yourself a favor and leave the suit at home during August.  You aren't impressing anyone.