Thursday, June 30, 2011

Spotted: Too Many Museums

It turns out, some interns DO grow out of their stupidity.


In my early twenties I was an intern at the Smithsonian. Normally, when you enter any of the Smithsonian museums, you must hand your purse or bag to a guard while they inspect it. After visiting a few of the museums, I noticed that one of the nice perks of being a badge-carrying Smithsonian employee (at least when I worked there) is that you could skip this part of the process and the guards would just wave you through. Needless to say, as a young intern, this type of ego-boost went straight to my head. After a few weeks of work, my parents were in town and our plan was to visit a few of the "museums that I worked for." The first one that we went to was the National Gallery of Art. I sauntered up to the guards, my parents in tow, and instead of handing over my purse, I flashed him my Smithsonian badge. He looked straight at me and said, "Nope, that ain't gonna work here," and asked for my purse.
Tip: It helps to know who you actually work for...the National Gallery of Art IS NOT a part of the Smithsonian.