Friday, June 11, 2010

Spotted: I'm Just Keeping it Real

Sorry for the length, but I had to submit this one in its entirety. Below is an email we received, verbatim (names removed), from our star summer intern this morning explaining his absence. To give a little background -- we are a small nonprofit organization and we recruit our interns from established programs that, we thought, provided basic training on office culture/professionalism.

Before printing and framing this email, I thought I'd share it with the world. Note to interns everywhere: while it's good to communicate with your supervisors, the example below perfectly demonstrates over-familiarity and over-sharing. Keep it short,
professional, and to the point. I'm honestly at a loss as to how to respond to his message lol. There are at least 4 or 5 quotes here that will go down in our organization's intern history.

-------

Hello, good morning!

The good news is: I wanted to email you to inform you of my absence today. I feel really bad/sad about sending this email. I really, really enjoyed my first day at , even if it was a lot of reading, because I like the layout and direction of this internship program, working with our interns, and having a chill boss like you (I'm just keeping it real). So not being able to make it to work today, well, it had to be something serious.

I really pulled a stupid move and somehow locked myself out of my apartment (please don't laugh at me haha). Not only did my phone run out of battery (so I couldn't call security or my roommates to get inside), I had to sleep in a women's size small American apparel jacket. The lack of good sleep, the cold, and wandering around at night to find shelter did wonders for my health, and now I'm feeling especially terrible. I know I informed you earlier on Tuesday that I had gotten sick, but it was manageable throughout the week. Right now, I can't stop coughing, my eyes are swollen, and my body feels immobile and feverish. The only reason I'm sending this email to you at 8:50AM and not sooner is because this was the quickest I could gain access to my internet and my apartment.

So in brief, I genuinely apologize for missing out on a great opportunity to continue to build upon my internship experience during the first week because I enjoy everything about but I believe that today would be best spent recovering and getting rest. I am ailing so please send me your best wishes - I do hope to get fully well by the end of the weekend...

But, there's always good news, and I wanted to inform you that in a week or two, there's a great chance I'll be able to work full time (M-F) at . I'll definitely keep you posted on that, and I look forward to seeing you on Monday.

Sorry again for the weird start to the internship, but I promise I will be reliable and dependable especially because I know I haven't been able to showcase that very much so far. Best wishes to you today!

All the best,


--
Just, wow.