Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Heard: Sleep for Free

A post from last week about an intern who fell asleep for a half hour reminded me of my own unpaid misadventures. I was an intern at Treasury, and the office I shared with a fellow intern also had the department's refrigerator in it - meaning higher ups would come in and out as they pleased, almost never speaking or making eye contact with us. One day, I fell asleep. A few minutes later in walks, to my horror, our Assistant Secretary, to whom I had been instructed to neither speak nor introduce myself. With a startle, I woke up, and he said "Hey, we're not paying you to sleep." After an uncomfortable silence (during which my life flashed before my eyes), he said "well actually, we're not paying you at all." He then chuckled to himself and left. I wanted to die.