Sunday, May 30, 2010

Heard: Classic Story

Being a GWU student spending my second summer in DC (not on the Hill), I am used to the interns and their antics. Yesterday I was walking west down F Street (going away from the White House) behind an intern in a suit listening to him talk very loudly on the phone. These are some excerpts:

"Yeah Mom, it's crazy how much I have an influence on the things that go on around the office."

"Yeah I'm on my way to the White House right now (he wasn't - note that he was walking west) for some big important meeting. I think Biden's gonna be there."

"Because I'm from California, I'm kind of in the upper tier of interns around the Hill."

"Yeah I've met most of the senators. I help out A LOT."

and then the clincher...

"No I don't think they're gonna start paying me."

10 comments:

  1. Lol wow. The end got me haha. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny. But who hasn't tried to make their mom proud by exaggerating there job responsibilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow sounds like a douche and yet "Being a GWU student spending my second summer in DC (not on the Hill), I am used to the interns and their antics" is just about as bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really think there is a "stigma" per se about being an intern. The dirty little "secret" about DC, though, is that, in the federal government structure, post-New-Deal, the executive branch runs the show. The legislative branch does very little. It has delegated most responsibilities of the vast federal government to the executive branch and spends very little time on oversight of the programs which have been enacted. Even beyond that, the executive branch has almost limitless power per the Supreme Court's decisions to fill in the gaps in legislation, i.e., with regulation and subregulatory policy, and there is little that Members of Congress can do about it except wield the bully pulpit and threaten to hold up funding and shut down the agencies (like that is really going to happen . . ).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walking behind Chuck DeVore?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And to think that he was just totally LYING to his mama!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A whole TWO summers, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh the irony! you imply that said intern is so insignificant and yet you still decided to eavesdrop on his entire conversation. non sequitur.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome. That made my day.

    ReplyDelete