Thursday, August 27, 2009

Heard: Meet Me at the Whore House

Since I started reading this blog, I’ve been anxiously waiting for at least one of my fellow interns at a prominent NGO in DC to do something idiotic enough to merit being posted here. This is a series of email exchanges sent to the office intern email listserv, using work email of course, between my fellow interns.

Intern 1: Hey Guys, There’s been some talk of Happy Hour/Dinner tonight so for anyone who would like to go: meet in the lobby at 5:00pm for Happy Hour at the Pour (not whore) House...and we'll grab some drinks there until like 5:30 and then head over to Tequila (or is it Tortilla?) Coast for dinner so that people who aren't 21 can join in the fun and don't have to wait around the office for too long.

Intern 2: WHAT? I THOUGHT WE AGREED ON WHORE HOUSE? See you guys at five ;) [and yes, it was written in all caps and in size 24 font]

It gets better. Today, we receive an email from the Intern Coordinator:

Subject: Please keep emails professional

Hello Everyone,

In light of some of the emails that were included in the string from yesterday, I feel it is necessary to remind you to please keep your emails professional. As I mentioned during orientation, you may absolutely use the intern email listserv to organize lunches, happy hours, etc with one another, but please keep the emails professional. Another reminder from orientation: I am not the only supervisor on the intern email burst. The other supervisor on the email burst is the organization’s Associate Director of Human Resources.