Sunday, August 02, 2009

Heard: I Do Not Discuss My Work

At a recent happy hour I was introduced to a young female intern by a good friend of mine who had attended high school with said intern. After my friend introduced her, he excused himself to the restroom, leaving me and another friend alone with the intern at our table. She seemed nice enough so in an effort to make small talk my friend politely asked "Where are you interning at?" She seemed put-off by the question and immediately replied "I don't discuss my work" and folded her arms in a manner that matched her tone. Puzzled, my friend shot me a glance that screamed "WTF." Familiar with this type of game I quickly responded with "So you work for the CIA?" Shocked by my hasty retort she looked awkwardly towards the ceiling before re-stating "I DON'T discuss my work". Knowing this boneheaded response all-too-well, I smiled and again posited "So you work for the CIA?" Clearly out of ideas and uncomfortable with my line of questioning she pardoned herself under the auspices of "getting a phone call."

When my friend returned to the table, he asked where she went. Rather than telling him what had just happened, I asked him where she interned. His response: the CIA.