Monday, July 13, 2009

Spotted: Don't Bring Your Boyfriend to an Interview

A couple of months ago, I was in charge of searching for a few interns to volunteer for our non-profit organization this summer. After screening applicants through a phone interview, I invited a few to come in for a real interview with both myself and the head of our department. This one candidate had a promising resume, but seemed a little awkward on the phone. I gave her the benefit of the doubt and asked her to come in anyway, thinking the awkwardness was due to the fact that she is not native to this country.

She strolled in ten minutes late, wearing jeans, and with her boyfriend! Both of them were carrying coffee cups from a cafe across the street. Once we started interviewing her, we realized she could not even answer a single question coherently. I had the inevitable duty of sending her a rejection e-mail after the interview, but I couldn't help myself from giving her a few tips as to what she could have done differently.