Monday, July 13, 2009

Heard: Can I Borrow Your ID?

My friends have had a standing Happy Hour at Hawk and Dove every Friday. We all meet up after work and have a couple drinks while deciding what to do for the night. We had started to figure out the check when this fresh-faced intern (not mine) comes up to me and strikes up the following conversation:

Underagetern: Hey, are you 21?

Me: Yes

Underagetern: Can I borrow your ID?

Me: No

Underagetern: For a price?

Me: No. Go away.

I was a bit startled at what had just transpired, and it didn't really sink in for a couple seconds. Of course, no one ever expects some random stranger to approach you at a bar to "borrow" your ID. Mind you, this was at the end of a Friday happy hour, so our brains weren't firing on all synapses. I would have shrugged it off if he hadn't immediately turned to my friend and asked, "Hey, are you 21?" His question was met with a classic, "is there really someone this stupid standing in front of me?" look from my colleague. At this point, the time for cordial conversation has ended. I start yelling at the kid. He made a beeline for the door, and we didn't see his sweet khaki-navy sport coat combo for the rest of the night.