Thursday, June 11, 2009

Spotted: Wandering Intern

A few years ago when I was still on the hill we had an intern who used to disappear often. After a while I stopped wondering and just excepted that I would never find him when I needed him. He complained that I didn't give him any interesting work like I gave the other interns, my response was always, "You weren't here when I gave out the assignments." The summer continued.

One day the phone flashes "Office of the Speaker..." I pick up, the Speaker's scheduler requested to speak with said intern. I told him he was our intern, wasn't here, and could I help them or point them towards a staffer that could be more helpful. I am then told that said intern left his "card" with the scheduler and requested a meeting with the Speaker. I said, "Oh no that won't be necessary, but thank you."

When said intern arrived back an hour later I asked him what that was all about. He informed me that he had an objective of having his photo taken with every Member of Congress before his departure, this is where he was when he disappeared. He also shows me the business cards he has made up for himself with the Committee name that I worked for at the time, his name (not title), direct line and e-mail. I told him this was not very appropriate, he should not be pursuing anymore, and he needs to be at his desk doing his job.

The story does not end there. The following spring I received a phone call from the White House. Said intern had applied for an internship there and was in the running. This intern had put me down as his supervisor. I simply said yes, he had an internship here last summer. The WH staffer paused and asked if there was anything he should know about him. I responded, since this is the WH you should probably get some information on him, this intern has a tendency to wander and I would not be surprised if you didn't find him in the Oval Office. Needless to say, he did not get that internship that summer.