Thursday, June 11, 2009

Spotted: President Intern

I would like to share a blunder from my intern days.

My first day on the job I was introduced to all of the main people in the office as well as the other interns. When my intern coordinator came around to one of the male interns, he introduced himself but he had an accent that I wasn't prepared for so I didn't catch what his name was...too shy to ask him to repeat it, I let it go. The intern coordinator proceeded to explain that xxxx was with the firm for about 6 months so he was "like a president intern." But what my little intern brain told me was that "President Intern" was his actual title.

Later on that day a higher up at the firm asked me what I had been spending my time on. Trying my absolute hardest to make it sound super important (he knew that it wasn't), I made the mistake of referencing the President Intern to which he responded with an extremely puzzled look and then a smirk and then some judgement.

"the who?"

"I uh...I didn't catch his name...the President Intern" (I'm mumbling and bright red now. Partly from being confused and partly from being addressed directly by an actual member of the staff)

"I don't think we have one of those..."

For the record, I did wise up eventually and I feel that I came away from that summer with a lot of life lessons. Thanks DC.