Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Spotted: I'm Just a [Wiki] Bill

I work for a trade association and each Spring and Fall we take a few interns for extra hands on deck. Last Spring, we had an intern who was INCREDIBLY eager for the job--she was a senior from [insert West Coast state] and played up her political experience to get the job. She was also a Political Science major.

About two weeks after she arrived, I asked her to put together a short one-page memo outlining the content, sponsors, and progress of a piece of legislation I wasn't familiar with, figuring I could look it up myself but it would be interesting for her to research. At the end of the day, she stopped by my office and handed me a stapled stack of papers. She had copied and pasted the Wikipedia page of the bill, including the reference links at the bottom, formatted it into 12-point Arial font, and removed the hyperlinks. She also failed to notice that the page wasn't even about the correct bill I had asked about--it was an old piece of legislation from a past session.

She then asked me how a bill becomes a law. I tried to explain it, but she didn't understand that Congress has committees. I was so flustered, all I could do was repeat "I'm Just a Bill" from Schoolhouse Rock! to try to explain it to her.

Worst Intern Ever.