Thursday, June 11, 2009

Spotted: Do Not Order the Pork Tenderloin

Making the House cafeteria rounds at lunch, I had to navigate the hordes of school-trip kids waiting for pizza, so I sauntered up to see what the Main Course of the day was. I was soon told.

Intern: (pointing to his eaten-on plate, mumbling) …disgusting….couldn’t eat it…swine flu…

Lady Serving at the Counter: I’m sorry you didn’t like it.

Intern: (still mumbling) …gross…money back…

Lady Serving at the Counter: I’m sorry sir, what can I do to fix this?

Intern: (shouting) I hope you don’t serve this to Members of Congress!

Then he turns, stares disgustedly at those of us in line, and storms off. He didn’t like the pork, I guess, but he did appear to belong to the clean plate club. And the Red Badge was prominently displayed, clipped to his suit pocket. I’m only sad that I didn’t see him approach the counter, to see if he cut the line or waited patiently to whine. Hope he warned his boss about today’s Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin.