Friday, June 05, 2009

Spotted: Clueless Shoeless Intern

Yesterday, in front of the Library of Congress, I happened to encounter throngs of interns being herded off somewhere. After passing several groups of them, I noticed one particular female intern walking with two male colleagues. The girl was barefoot and holding her shoes in her hand.

I know how terribly uncomfortable dress shoes can get, but this is not the prairie, it's a big city, and wearing shoes is a must! On a city street, do you have any idea what you might be stepping in?

Now, for those of you who are thinking, let's just give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe it had been a long day, maybe she had just gotten back from happy hour, maybe there was some other adequate excuse, I have to tell you the clincher. It was 9:30am. Sorry honey, you are going to have wear shoes to fulfill your role in the office and to survive in a city environment, I think it's time to invest in a pair of comfy ones.

7 comments:

  1. Most of these are quite funny, but this is just petty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yea, seriously. I mean, if she's uncomfortable, she'll put on the shoes. If she's fine, what's it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given the level of intelligence her sartorial choice betrays, do not be surprised if clueless shoeless decides to correct the error of her ways by donning flip-flops at some point in her career.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She could have broken a heel or strap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a little weird to walk around a city without shoes. This is why large handbags are a good idea - you bring a pair of flip flops and change into them AFTER you leave the office.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, this could have been me. But unless she was in a maroon dress walking to her car from the Clarendon metro it wasn't. I blame it on being unemployed, but I can say Aerosoles might be the most comfortable brand of work heels I have ever stepped foot in. alas they weren't Aerosoles that day so off they went.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason I was walking barefoot was because I had blisters. Not a good excuse, just a reason. Find comfy shoes? The ones I was wearing (carrying) just needed to be broken in, they're fine now. Flipflops are uncomfortable. I put them back on as soon as I got inside. I can easily look where I'm walking, so as not to step on anything visible. And no heels. They're even more uncomfortable than flip flops.

    ReplyDelete