Sunday, June 14, 2009

Heard: Party Crasher

In the summer of 2005, I was interning on the hill as part of a summer program.  One of my fellow interns, who didn't quite understand when to keep his mouth shut, was working for Republican and happened to stumble across a (then) Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi talking to a group of reporters.  

Our hero then proceeded to join the group, and proceeded to ask Ms. Pelosi a leading question on energy policy.  Suspicious, Ms. Pelosi asked him who he worked for.  Without missing a beat, he said "I work for ______".  Oops.  I guess he had missed the day when they told the interns not to harass the leadership of the opposing party.

The rest of the interns found out the details of this story the next day in "Heard on the Hill."

As a post-script to this story, one of my fellow interns ran into him a few years later, and found that he had the Roll Call story framed on his desk at work.