Thursday, June 18, 2009

Heard: Paranoia

This morning as I made my way into work, a group of obvious interns boarded my train (sporting those red badges, of course). Because I have recently come to love this blog so much, I have intentionally not been listening to my iPod on the metro, in hopes of hearing some sort of nugget of ignorance. The conversation I heard this morning made it all
worthwhile...

Intern 1: "Have you guys been reading that blog about how stupid interns are?"

Intern 2: "Yeah and it pisses me off. I don't think people stop to realize how vital Hill interns are to this country as a whole...seriously. Like, a lot of stuff wouldn't get done without us. The city should be thanking us actually..."

Intern 1: "Yeah. I just feel like a lot of the stories are embellished though. I mean, interns aren't really that stupid. We were selected to be here and they wouldn't pick stupid people to fill those positions. Plus, why are people listening to our conversations anyways? Maybe we wouldn't be on the defensive so much if people weren't always criticizing us."

Intern 2: "You know, I'm just scared that someone is going to hear me say something stupid and write about it. I don't want to be that person, you know? They all sound so dumb."

Dear interns, it's hard to ignore your conversation when you are the only ones talking on the metro. It is, however, amusing to see all of you on your very best behavior, as not to become the next victim of this blog. So, thank you.