Friday, June 26, 2009

Heard: Literally Losing Money

Yesterday morning, exiting the Capitol South metro at about 9:15 AM, the gates had broken and there was a huge crowd (200+) of people accumulating in front of them, trying to get out.

Eventually the Metro workers did just force the gates open and let people file through as quickly as possible without paying. But before they did that, I overheard this spectacular conversation between two very young looking, female Congressional interns.

Intern 1: "They should literally just let us out without paying."(Note: I'm not sure she has a grasp on the meaning of the word 'literally' since I doubt anyone would have thought she was speaking metaphorically there)

Intern 2: "I know, they should."

Intern 1: "I mean, if you look at how much money the government is losing by us being late . . ."

I don't know if there was more to the conversation; I was too busy laughing to myself. I actually get paid, and I'm pretty sure the government's budget was not unduly burdened by any of us being that 5 minutes late this morning.