Friday, June 12, 2009

Heard: Lines Are For Interns, Too

Today, I had the pleasure of attending a Senate Subcommittee hearing that the non-legislative government agency I work for has some interest in. Since it's been about three years since my own hill internship, and having become an avid reader of this blog, I was very excited for the wonderful hilltern ridiculousness that would befall me. They didn't disappoint.

Due to the large amount of interest in this particular hearing, a long line had developed, so that even though I arrived about 20 minutes early, I was at the very front of the line when they closed the doors. On our way to the overflow room, I overheard one intern explaining to another why the hearing was so full.

Intern #1: Well, ya, because the hearings are all open to the public.

Intern #2: Ugh, aren't there any hearings open to just STAFF??

I didn't really feel the need to point out to him that, even if there WERE such hearings, they, not being staff themselves, would not be invited either.