Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Heard: Intern Resignation

Apparently, our summer intern from a few years back was hoping to conduct policy briefings for the Senator during his first week. Unfortunately, this did not happen and he packed his bags after the first week. What a terrible loss of talent the Committee endured from his absence. Although this masterful resignation letter seemed to fill our void.

This was actually sent to the Committee. Enjoy! We sure did....


Dear XXXXX,

I am writing to express my gratitude for being offered the chance to work in the office of Senator XXXXX. An internship represents the opportunity to gain valuable work experience and an insider's view of the political process. Therefore, it is with considerable regret that I must tender my resignation. This decision has been a difficult one for me, reached after a considerable amount of soul-searching. I have had to make a choice based upon academics, aptitude, and my personal finances.

Earlier in the summer, I had the opportunity to work in the office of Senator XXXX. In so doing, I fulfilled a requirement for my major, which was a key factor in my seeking an internship in the first place. Additionally, I learned a great deal about the internship experience, rendering much of my current activity redundant. I worried that this might be the case before coming to work for the senator and I expressed these concerns to the intern coordinator. He said that there was a position available for me on the XXXX Committee and, fearing the burden upon the committee my absence might create, I agreed to come.

Unfortunately, since coming to work for the XXXXX Committee, I have been assigned to duties to which neither my skills nor proclivities incline me. The work has been entirely administrative, consisting of making scans and copies for members of the staff. My previous internship experience had left me with no illusions: I understand that the role of an intern is to perform a considerable amount of menial labor. At the same time, my understanding was that the volunteer services of an intern are tendered in exchange for the learning experiences embodied in substantive work. Such work has never materialized. In fact, when I raised concerns with members of the staff, I was merely told that substantive work might--or might not-become available in a week or so. This prospect was not reassuring.

Of the low-skill work I have been assigned, there has not been enough to fill my time. Members of the staff can attest that I approached them seeking additional work. Despite this initiative, since coming to work for the XXXXX Committee, I have been unwillingly idle for hours at a stretch. There does not seem to be a pressing need in the office for my services after all.

Upon examining all of these factors, I can see no alternative but to end my brief tenure of service for the committee. I leave you with my sincere thanks and warmest best wishes.